February 22, 2014

"To The Moon"

Sara Groves has long been one of my favorite musical artists.  I love her simple, folksy style, and her straightforward, heartfelt, transparent lyrics.  I have listened by the hours to her music and whole heartedly believe that God has used her music to bring me much closer to Himself.

The song "To the Moon" has fascinated me since the first time I heard it.  The thought of a church actually taking their church to the moon is absurd and humorous; yet somehow it rings true to what I have observed throughout my lifetime.   Some churches have a "circle the wagons" mentality- keep us all "safe" inside. I'm pretty sure that as a Christ-follower, that is not what I've been called to do.




"To The Moon"    by Sara Groves
It was there in the bulletin
We're leaving soon
After the bake sale to raise funds for fuel
The rocket is ready and we're going to
Take our church to the moon



There'll be no one there to tell us we're odd
No one to change our opinions of God
Just lots of rocks and this dusty sod
Here at our church on the moon




We know our liberties we know our rights
We know how to fight a very good fight
Just get that last bag there and turn out the light
We're taking our church to the moon
We're taking our church to the moon
We'll be leaving soon



If you are not familiar with this song, or with Sara Groves for that matter, look her up on YouTube.  You will be blessed! 


Don't "take your church to the moon" It's time to get busy!
John 4:35(NIV) "...open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest."    
Matthew 28:19-20(NIV)  "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."




*the moon pictures are my shaky attempt to capture our very own beautiful moon here in Tillamook county.
 
 

No comments: